Saturday, July 25, 2015

Busy Day at the Shop

This is a busy day at the shop today.  "Row by row-ers" are steadily coming in to browse and purchase their kits and license plates.  In between customers I am working on two projects.

This one utilizes a jelly roll and a group of 10" x 10" squares often called layer cakes by some companies, (but called "Bali Crackers" by Hoffman Fabrics), to make "Topiary Tiles", a complimentary design by Amanda Murphy made available by Robert Kaufman Fabrics.



This group of fabrics is called "Lorikeet" and is from my stash, so I really have no idea how long I have had them.  


The blocks are spring and summer like and remind me of sherbet.  I completed ten yesterday and hope to finish piecing the rest today.


The pattern calls for 20 blocks but I am making more by using the entire jelly roll and the complete pack of 10" x 10" squares. I will let you know how this looks when I finish.

And when I get tired of piecing, I am cutting the pieces for a queen sized quilt using the pattern "Hummingbird" by Darlene Zimmerman.   I have a grouping of softer colored fabrics, not really 30's but fabrics that remind me of that genre and theme.  I have had them set aside for awhile but have not cut into them.  The recent sighting of a hummingbird outside my kitchen window prompted me to get into this UFO wannabe.  (Sorry no picture of the hummingbird.  My camera is never close by when I spot it!)


The pattern uses the "Simpli-EZ 30 degree Triangle" ruler by Darlene Zimmerman.  My thought is for this to become a leader and ender project since I need to make 128 star blocks, which need four of these units.

 
 



That means I will be at this for awhile.  I know I won't stay focused enough to piece 512 units one after another! So they will have to be inserted into other piecing projects!  I'll keep you posted on this ongoing sewing project. 

That is my Saturday sewing line up.  I will be at the shop until 5 pm while Sharon is vending at the Maine quilt show.  If you are in the area, either Rhode Island or Maine, why not stop by and see us!

Have a great Saturday!

Louise, who is minding the shop at The Piecing with Poppers Quilting Center in West Greenwich, Rhode Island.




No comments:

Post a Comment