Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Fun with Fat Quarters

Over the years I have made numerous quilts of the type that I call my Fat Quarter Quilts.  The quilt pattern is based on one found in M'Liss Rae Hawley's 1999 book called Fat Quarter Quilts.  In it are several patterns but one, Mystery Quilt, has always resonated with me.


What appeals has always been the fact that you can use anywhere from 5 or more fat quarters with one 2 yard minimum focus fabric and 1 yard minimum background fabric.  It can be one background fabric or more.  The focus fabric can be a floral print, a batik, a border print, a directional print as long as it is a fabric that serves to stimulate your creative fabric choice juices in terms of choosing fat quarters.






In making the units of this quilt, you work with the fabric you have to make 5 inch blocks.  They are triple rail, four patch, nine patch, half square triangles and a double four patch. Any fabric will do for each element, but I usually choose a strong color for the double four patch.  I like the way it can produce a strong visual line in the finished top.

  




The above example uses multiple background fabrics rather than one piece of yardage.

Your cutting skills can be challenged to make accurate cuts that measure 5 3/8 inches, 2 3/4 inches, 2 inches, and 1 5/8 inches.

You need to sew an accurate 1/4 inch seam.

And you need to design out of your comfort zone.

I have a quilty friend who absolutely cringes when she sees these quilt tops.  They are too random for her and play havoc with her sense of balance and symmetry.  She can make the various elements, but she needs to put the quilt into one that is more traditional and not so random.

These quilts are still a challenge for me. I find immense satisfaction in producing a quilt top that uses what I have in my fabric stash and allows me to produce a quilt that can be pleasing to the eye but uses a different approach to design.

Fun with Fat Quarters or Designing out of Your Comfort Zone is a fun and different way to approach your stash and make a quilt that is uniquely yours.

No comments:

Post a Comment