Sunday, April 3, 2016

Afternoon Cutting

I am spending this afternoon cutting, when maybe I should be doing something else! Don't know what, but...
 I have had this grouping of fabrics that should have evolved into something for the guild challenge in 2014, but didn't.


Yesterday was the "Schoolhouse Shop Hop" bus trip and at the Red Barn Sewing and Quilting Center in Merrimac, Massachusetts, I found this book by Barbara Becker, "Quilts for Children of All Ages".


While leafing through the pages, I found this quilt.


Called "Take Me Along", which reminded me of those fabrics again!

I decided to use them to make one of these quilts, and I began to cut.

But after the required one 5 1/2 inch strip and two 3 inch strips, there is quite a bit left over from the one yard of fabric.


I was not willing to put the rest back into the "I will use this someday" pile; so off to search for a pattern to use up the rest.

And I found it.


"Trail's End" is becoming a go-to pattern for me. It is a 48" x 60" quilt that uses eight half yards. 
Cathy's patterns are written around that amount of yardage and yield a nice lap quilt.  They can also be enlarged quite easily by adding a border or more blocks, if you have extra fabric.


As a result, today, I am happily cutting for two new quilts.  Not complicated ones, mind you, but rather quilts that are allowing me to use yardage that has been languishing.  (I love that word, languishing, not what it means but how it rolls off the tongue!)

Two years for fabrics "languishing" in my stash is really not a long time. But today I am happy to see them being cut up into useable pieces.

Let's see how long it takes before they become a quilt top!

Louise, in the studio cutting up fabrics on a windy Sunday afternoon.






No comments:

Post a Comment